Friday, August 12, 2005

"It must be wonderful to work in a library. You get to read all day."

Working in a public library, you hear this several times a day. Reading is a passion for most of us and we all dream of the perfect job that would allow us to read all the livelong day. But our job is to serve the customer--you.

We do get to read...book reviews, dustjackets, and library related journals. We don't get to read the fun stuff until we get home or (like me) on our lunch break. I get most of my reading done during lunch. What am I reading now?

Beach Music by Pat Conroy.

Pat Conroy writes beautifully. The words dance on the page and oftentimes I will read a sentence several times, just to soak in the mesmerizing imagery. I've read it once before, but I felt like I needed to revisit it. My favorite sentences are still there. Almost like an old friend that I had missed for so long. Reading Pat Conroy makes you realize that people are born with innate gifts. His is storytelling. He can build a perfect sentence that leaves you sated, while at the same time, salivating for the next line.

I fear to say much more. I don't want to ruin any of it and typing about it makes me long for the words right now. Needless to say, it is in my personal top ten. Actually, it might be in the top five.

Thanks for reading,
George

3 comments:

Rob Alan said...

Congratulations!

Welcome to Blogging and to Randolph Is Talking

Rob Alan said...

Check your Links section.. the RCPL link is a bit off.

Anonymous said...

Whooops!

Thanks for the heads-up!